Saturday, August 1, 2009

Coach Mcmackin in hot water over "faggot dance" remark

While speaking at a media event on July 30, 2009, McMackin was talking about the ritual the Notre Dame players do. He said, "I know most of the coaches in the country are rooting for us to beat Notre Dame. Charlie gives this talk, ‘We do something special at Notre Dame,’ and (the players) get up and they do this little cheer ... this little faggot dance." He then went on to describe how the players in Hawaii do a Ha'a dance.

After the statement, McMackin told reporters, "Don't write that "faggot" down. I was misquoted. Just please...cover for me. Go ahead, say "faggot dance." No, please cover for me on that, too...Right Karl? I'll deny it. Anything else?"

After his remarks, McMackin left, but returned and immediately apologized for the remark. He said, "I want to officially, officially apologize. Please don’t write that statement I said as far as Notre Dame. The reason is I don’t care about Notre Dame. But I’m not a … I don’t want to come out and have every homosexual ticked off at me. You know what I mean, because I don’t have any problem with homosexuals. But I apologize for saying that and I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t run that word. If you said ‘dance,’ that’s OK. But don’t use the bad term that I chose, please. Thank you."http://www.rgj.com/article/20090730/SPORTS/90730014/-1/news18022

Posted via web from jackierad's posterous