Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bag Balm & Itchy, Bumpy, Dyshidrotic Eczema


UPDATE : Just wanted to share with you guys, the ONE thing that worked. The little itchy bumps waxed and waned all winter until someone recommend bag balm! It's not FDA approved for use on humans BUT it worked.

Earlier Desperate Post:

"A few years ago, the palm of my hand, right above my wrist broke out in all these itchy little bumps. Then it dried out and there were cracks. The doctor said it was eczema, gave me a cream and it went away.

A few weeks ago I had a bunch of little fluid filled bumps on the top of my index finger and one on the inside of where the thumb bends. So I popped them-it was just to irresistible. The ones on the top of my finger sort of dried out and turned reddish.

This morning I woke up to not only the bumps coming back, but now I have them on the other side of the same finger. I searched the Internet and I am one-million percent sure it is Dyshidrotic Eczema.

According to MayoClinic.com It could be from stress (like everything else), exposure to allergens like "nickel" and "cobalt" or exposure to dampness. Well, I am always washing something, but I can't imagine what I touched that I don't touch everyday.

Then I read that excessive caffeine consumption and smoking can aggravate it. Stop the press! What am I supposed to have for breakfast?!

Now I am wondering...what is my Apple Mighty Mouse made of...hmm...and the Apple Wireless keyboard? In my searching I came across a post by C.K. over at Sample the Web- turns out he has the same thing. Is this virtually contagious?

Anyway here is a picture (not mine, my hand is covered in Calamine Lotion until I can pick up some Cortaid later!)"

Photo by Heather L. Brannon, MD

Update: Cortaid / Calamine did not work....the Bag balm helped!