Monday, November 17, 2008

#Motrin Moms--Take a chill pill.


Today we covered the whole "Motrin Moms" crisis on Mahalo.com. I admit, I saw some the tweets earlier in the day, something about "how dare they" and "babies as accessories" but I wasn't paying all that much attention to it at the time. So when it came time to actually investigate...I had to watch the advertisement twice before I realized what was "offensive" about it.

As a mom, frequent tension headache sufferer and former baby-wearer, I must say, I was not personally offended. In my opinion, the ad was not meant to be taken seriously. To call for the boycott of Motrin seems a bit overkill to me. Yes, slings gave me a huge crick in the neck. Yes there are a several different "styles" and brands of carriers, ranging from pouch carriers to slings made of silk that you can custom order in prints to match your...whatever. Is it a fad?

If you were ever in the market for a baby sling- You've sure come across websites advertising "the baby sling has now become the "must have" baby accessory." Don't believe me? Google it. While you are at it, search "Celebrity baby slings."

Anyway, Here is the transcript from the Motrin Mom-Alogue campaign:

"Wearing your baby seems to be in fashion. I mean, in theory it's a great idea. There's the front baby carrier, sling, schwing, wrap, pouch. And who knows what else they've come up with. Wear your baby on your side, your front, go hands free. Supposedly, it's a real bonding experience. They say that babies carried close to the body tend to cry less than others. But what about me? Do moms that wear their babies cry more than those who don't. I sure do!" These things put a ton of strain on your back, your neck, your shoulders. Did I mention your back? I mean, I'll put up with the pain because it's a good kind of pain; it's for my kid." Plus, it totally makes me look like an official mom. And so if I look tired and crazy, people will understand why."